If you've chosen to deliver content through the use of video and audio, there are a number of choices regarding format, technique and quality that is often aligned to your budget and intended audience.
The following information details the resources available for creating and uploading content as well as production techniques.
Media production services
The following media production services are offered at the University:
If you are interested in self-producing your own content, there are cost-effective options available that can help deliver a reasonable quality result appropriate for your audience.
Current smart phones are now good enough that reasonably high-quality results can be obtained through the appropriate production techniques using relatively low-cost equipment. For presenting to camera, here are some equipment recommendations:
- A University-issued iPhone or Android device
- Manfrotto Compact Action Tripod
- iPhone holder - Joby GripTight One Mount
- Rode Wireless Go (Great for wireless mic)
- Rode smartLav+ lapel mic (When presenting close to camera)
- Rode NT-USB (also a good USB mic for desktop audio recording)
There are many screen recording and editing software options available with varying features and ease of use. Contact us if you would like more assistance or information on choosing which option is right for you.
|Software||Description||Cost||Difficulty level||OS|| Screen|
|Audacity||Audio recording and editing||Free||Easy||Mac / PC||No||Yes|
|OpenShot||Video editor||Free||Easy||Mac / PC||No||Yes|
|OBS||Video, screen recording and live streaming||Free||Easy||Mac / PC||Yes||No|
|Quicktime||Video player, recorder and editor||Free||Easy||Mac||Yes||Basic trimming|
|Movies and TV||Video player and editor||Free||Easy||PC||No||Basic trimming|
|Zoom||Video conference software||Free (for staff)||Easy||Mac / PC||Yes||No|
|Kaltura Personal Capture||Screen recorder||Free (for staff)||Easy||Mac / PC||Yes||Basic trimming|
|Screencast-O-Matic||Screen recorder and video editor||Free (for staff)||Easy||Mac / PC||Yes||Yes|
|Camtasia||Screen recorder and video editor||Paid||Medium||Mac / PC||Yes||Yes|
|Adobe Rush||Video recorder and editor||Paid||Medium||Mac / PC / iOS||No||Yes|
|Adobe Premiere Pro||Video editor||Paid||Advanced||Mac / PC||No||Yes, fully featured|
|Final Cut Pro X||Video editor||Paid||Advanced||Mac||No||Yes, fully featured|
|DaVinci Resolve||Video editor||Free||Advanced||Mac / PC||No||Yes, fully featured|
|Name||Location & map URL||Service owner||Video capture||Screen capture||Audio capture||Cost||Self-service / operator||Who can book||Capacity|
|Baillieu Self Service Audio Recording Pod||Baillieu Library 141||Learning Environments||No||Yes||Yes||Free||Self-Service||UoM staff||4|
|Horwood Language Studio||John Medley||Arts||No||No||Yes||$90/hr||Operator||All||4|
|Studio 757||757 Swanston||External Relations||No||No||Yes||Free||Operator||UoM staff||4|
Be aware of the various copyright policies regarding online audio and video. Generally speaking, don’t include any third-party content without permission or correct licensing. Visit the copyright office website for more information.
What platform to host your content depends on the type of video, visit this link for more information. Also consider the shelf-life of your video, will it need to be online in 6 months, 2 years or 5 years time?
The appropriateness of video and audio production values is highly subjective, but should ultimately be closely aligned with audience expectations.
For example, a selfie video recorded on an iPhone (with a relatively low production value) could still be appropriate for an LMS subject or a social media post. On the other hand, a professionally produced marketing video may come across as too polished for a specific audience.
With that in mind, there are technical considerations that can help get your message across:
Audio - You must be able to hear the presenter clearly. For example, the closer that a microphone is to the mouth, the more clearly audio will be heard.
Video - The way it is filmed should not distract from the content. For example, using a tripod or holding the camera steady is recommended in most situations.
- Stock images, templates and other resources
Professional development programs
Learning Environments runs professional development programs throughout the year. Check this page for current sessions. Some examples include:
- The Art of Authentic video storytelling
- Designing for learning with technology
- Using video in education
- Presenting to Camera
- Video production with smartphones
- Self-service audio recording
- Additional learning resources
Presentation tips and resources
- Rather than 'presenting a paper' or 'giving a lecture' consider some other ways of delivering content
- Watch some Three Minute Thesis presentations for examples of short and sharp research communication
- Do you have what it takes to share an idea worth spreading? TED's secret to great public speaking
- If you prioritise reading your notes instead of engaging the audience then don't be surprised if they start looking at their phones
- If the audience doesn't intrinsically have an interest in your topic, find a way to make it accessible and interesting