Ensuring your first Zoom session is a success
Recommendations for your first Zoom session:
- Practice using each of the features you are going to use, before any session with students.
- Mute students’ audio, either when scheduling the session or at the beginning of the session. Let them know when they can unmute (individually).
- Have a more experienced Zoom user sit in on your session to help troubleshoot if necessary.
- Have set question break times to allow you to look/hear where questions are coming from at key points in your session (for example in Chat, virtual raised hands, audio).
- Only use the basics – audio, webcam and screenshare – for your first session. Avoid other tools until you are confident.
- Have a second device logged in as a ‘dummy participant’ so you can see student view when needed (remember to mute audio on the second device, both in Zoom and on the desktop).
- Log in 15 minutes early to test your audio settings.
- When scheduling your meeting, set it up to automatically record (so you don't forget to press record).