New Lecture Capture experience in 2018: January update
The new Lecture Capture system will be deployed over the weekend of Saturday 17 February to Monday 19 February.
The upgrade will involve no interruption to recording functionality: lectures in active Summer subjects, or any other booked lectures during this upgrade period will continue to be recorded in the existing (‘old’) Lecture Capture System, and these recordings will be transferred to the ‘new’ system following the upgrade. Following the upgrade, all new lecture recordings will be captured in the new system. Staff will continue to have access to previous recordings via the ‘old’ lecture capture system.
The new Lecture Capture system is an upgrade to the existing Echo360 infrastructure. New features for staff and students will include:
- An increase in lecture capture recording quality to HD (720p),
- A new interface for staff and students to view, playback and download lecture capture recordings,
- A new Lecture Capture ‘Content Page’ that will be automatically inserted into all LMS subjects with Lecture Capture enabled. This content page will include links to lecture recordings. Teaching staff will be able to manage availability/unavailability to students (as in current system),
- Enhanced learning analytics capability for all staff with an instructor role in the LMS subject,
- Students can anonymously flag ‘points of confusion’ within the lecture recording. This is a feature which is ‘on’ by default, and teaching staff can advise on their intended use/response,
- Students can add bookmarks and take study notes in the system for their own use,
- Staff will no longer receive notification of recording publication, and are encouraged instead to make use of the new Learning Analytics pane that will indicate usage of the recordings,
Additional features available in the system (off by default, but can be enabled by teaching staff) in subjects:
- Teaching staff can upload optional presentation slides into the system for students to follow along during class;
- Teaching staff can add ‘Active engagement’ slides such as Polls, Multiple Choice, Drop Pin on Image, and other types,
- Option to create a Q&A discussion forum for each recording (note: guides for these additional/optional features are being developed),
- The functionality of HEAT maps indicating student use of recordings over time will be rolled out later in the year.
Further communications and information will be released progressively as we approach the launch date. If you have any questions relating to the new Lecture Capture system, please contact us via the support form.