Understanding student engagement using New Analytics in Canvas
Canvas 'New Analytics' supports teaching staff identify what students may be struggling with, review the content items and activities that students are viewing and engaging with, and conduct quick comparisons.
What does New Analytics provide?
- Average subject grade
- Compare the subject average with an individual assignment, subject section, or student filter
- View average weekly online participation*
- Compare the subject average weekly online participation* with an individual student or section
- Send a message to all students based on specific grade or participation criteria
- Send a message to an individual student based on specific grade or participation criteria
- View subject grade and participation* for an individual student.
New Analytics displays insights in either a chart or a table. Also available is the option to download data as a CSV file.
How to access New Analytics
The New Analytics button is located on the subject Home page.
It can also be accessed through the subject menu. Note that students do NOT have access to this tool.
Data is refreshed in New Analytics every 24 hours for only active student enrolments and is an aggregate across all devices, including Canvas mobile apps. Note that it might take some time to generate the statistics the first time the tool is accessed for a subject.
* Participation can be thought of as actions that create artefacts in Canvas. For example, creating a discussion post, submitting an assignment, starting a quiz, completing a quiz or creating a page. Participation and page views should only be viewed as part of a broader picture of student engagement within a subject. Student interaction styles can vary considerably and this can manifest in the data in different ways.
Resources: learn more about New Analytics
The following Canvas user guides are available:
- How do I view analytics for an individual student in New Analytics?
- How do I view weekly online activity analytics in an interactive chart graph in New Analytics?
- How do I send a message to all students based on specific course participation criteria in New Analytics?
- How do I compare the course average chart graph with an assignment, section, or student filter in New Analytics?
- How do I send a message to an individual student in New Analytics?
- Additional New Analytics Canvas user guides