How do I assess and provide feedback easily on students’ presentations or task performance?
For assessment tasks that are performed in a face-to-face setting, for example an oral presentation, performance piece, place-based or clinical task, you can provide grades and timely feedback to students online.
By using online grading tools and rubrics, you can prepare and deliver feedback to your students that is targeted, meaningful and immediate or timely, as well as easy to access.
While you observe students performing the task, you can use Canvas grading and feedback annotation tools on your tablet or laptop. You can create a rubric to streamline grading and feedback based on the assessment criteria, and also add additional comments about the performance.
What are the advantages?
- Digital feedback provides students with easy access to your feedback via Canvas.
- Online rubrics provide guidance to students as to how to create their presentation, as well as understanding how to improve for further tasks.
- Students can use feedback for reflection on and review of their performance. Feedback delivered via Turnitin or Canvas assignments is accessible to students who use screen-readers with assistive technology.
- Grading and providing feedback in real time can speed up the grading workflow for you and your teaching team.
- You can use rubrics to support consistent grading across the teaching team.
- You can create and deliver feedback efficiently for group assignments.
- Grades and feedback can be made available to students quickly and easily through Canvas and Gradebook.
- You can make use of analytics reporting.
Support and resources
For help using online grading and feedback annotation tools and rubrics, see the following guides:
- How to create a Canvas assignment which requires no online submission (note Canvas works well for both individual and group tasks)
- Assessment and feedback workshop hosted by Learning Environments
digital assessment digital formative summative assessment administration academic administration assessment workflow group-based assessment group assessment timely feedback